Belarusian Railway (BCh) - Belorusskaja železnaja doroga BŽD - Беларуская чыгунка, Belaruskaya chyhunka, БЧ
Rail transport in Belarus is owned by the national rail company BŽD / BČ (ru: Belorusskaja Železnaja Doroga / be: Belaruskaja Čyhunka). The railway network consists of 5,512 km, its gauge is 1,520 mm (Russian broad gauge) and 874 km are electrified.
The first line crossing the country was the Saint Petersburg – Warsaw Railway, which started operating in late 1862. This included section and railway station in Hrodna. During mid 1860's railway line was built also from Daugavpils to Polatsk and further to Vitebsk. Line Warsaw-Brest, opened in 1866, completed to Moscow in 1871. Belarus is crossed, from Brest to Orsha through Minsk, by an international rail line connecting Berlin and Warsaw to Moscow. Other important lines are the Minsk-Gomel (to Kiev), the Orsha-Vitebsk (to Saint Petersburg), the Minsk-Vilnius and others. Some international trains serving Belarus are the Pribaltika Riga-Odessa, the Minsk-Irkutsk and the Sibirjak Berlin-Novosibirsk (and other Russian destinations).
The national network has no high-speed lines and is not served by high-speed trains. The company, formed in 1992 after the dissolution of the Soviet Union, is one of the inheritors of the Soviet Railways. It administrates 5,512 km of railway with Russian broad gauge (1,520 mm). The railway's most important station is Minsk Terminal, the central station of the capital.
BCh is answerable to the ministry of transport and as of 2010 was composed of 84 organizations; 46 enterprises, 38 institutions, and 7 factories/plants. The rail network is divided into 6 departments: named after the regions around Minsk, Baranovichi, Brest, Gomel, Mogilev and Vitebsk.